Today a 22 year old motorcyclist from Southampton was fined a mere £600 for speeding, £70 for “costs” and £15 for a victim surcharge. In total, lets see….£685 in fines, and oh, he was banned from the roads for 18 months. Ok, severe, right? Nope, for what he did…lets see:
- 88 in a 30 (58 over – almost three times the limit)
- 82 in a 30 (52 over – again almost thrice over)
- 77 in a 30 (47 over – just 2.5 times over)
- 72 in a 30 (42 over – again 2.5 times)
- 54 in a 30 (almost double)
- 58 in a 30 (double)
- 83 in a 30 (again almost 3x the limit)
…oh yeah, and this was all within 27 days! So, lets see, do an average of 43 mph over the speed limit in 7 infractions in one month and you get taken off the roads for 18 months…all for a bit of fun. There are other places where I’ve been, where a person can get caught going 40 in a 25 and they’re off the road for 6 months and fined £100, no questions asked.
Until the UK government decides to take this kind of thing serious, people will continue breaking the law and making a mockery of the government.